Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Starting life on a budget!!!

Well, after being here in Florida for 9 months, we got our first proposed tax bill. Since the house was just built before we moved in, it had never been assessed. Well, we were way over assessed and our mortgage is going up almost $500 every month!!! Since we found this out, we have been thinking of ways to save extra money and make some more money.

One of the reasons that we moved to Florida was that the cost of living was supposed to be cheaper. Well, you can buy a house pretty cheap here in Florida. After that, forget it. Homeowner's insurance is the same as what we were paying in NJ, taxes are the same, gas is higher, water and electric are more expensive, there is sales tax on almost everything here, and food is more expensive. And then, to top it all off, Florida pays less!!! Yes, we knew all of this before we moved here, but it is still tough to deal with.

George got a part time job delivering for a local deli but since they are new, they aren't very busy. I am also looking for a second job to supplement my income. I applied at a local Domino's Pizza for a position as a delivery driver. (George used to own a Domino's back in Jersey, so I used to help him out and work for him and I liked delivering.) Hopefully, they will call me soon so I can start making some extra cash!!!

I am also looking for a better paying primary job. I am not having much luck though. I have a fabulous resume (courtesy of http://www.resumebee.com/) and have gone on many interviews. I have even been offered positions but have had to turn them down because either the pay is lower than I currently make or health benefits would cost more and the pay would be the same. I can't believe that with the major nursing shortage, there are so few nursing jobs here. It amazes me!!!

Besides looking for jobs we have also cut costs elsewhere. For instance, we have started cooking more instead of going out, I stopped smoking, and we are selling things we don't need or use on eBay. I have also cut way back on my shopping. I don't buy anything unless I absolutely need it!! And, if I don't have the cash on me to buy it, then too bad, I'm not getting it!!!

So, we'll see how we make out!! I'll keep you posted!!!

2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh man....sorry to hear that you are both having to find second jobs. Our nursing jobs pay a great salary...about $45 per hour to start, however our cost of living is higher. I saw an article on MSN the other day that over half of the 500 most expensive zip codes to live in were in CA.

Beach Bum Marcie said...

thanks for the cash babe!!

so sorry the job search sucks :(